CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 16, 2011

BEST CHRISTMAS BOOK... EVER!

Yes, you are probably familiar with the Christmas classics - Twas the Night Before Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and the like.  But have you ever heard of this book?  It really is the best Christmas book ever.  I say this because 1) my siblings and I used to fight over this book growing up and 2) because it's about COOKIES!!


The story in a nutshell:  Everyone LOVES their Christmas cookies and loves decorating them with sprinkles.  But so does the Snitcher, who snitches all the sprinkles while the town's asleep.  A little boy goes off in search of the missing sprinkles and shows the Snitcher the true meaning of sprinks. ;)  And it's told all in rhyme, like a Dr. Seuss book.  The illustrator used to work for Disney.


It's the best (did I mention that yet?)


My family had the paperback book growing up, and it has gotten a lot of wear and tear through the years.  It has also been lost for more than a few years as well, only resurfacing last year when my brother was helping our parents clean out some boxes.


It was then put in the family safe (to be VERY safe).  There was no way we were going to loose this book again.


Especially when the only place we could find it was on E-bay for a couple HUNDRED dollars.  (It was published in 1967, I believe, and out of print)


So you can imagine my surprise and delight when I opened up a package today and found it staring at me -- hardcover and mint condition!  I literally was giddy with happiness!


Turns out that the publishers recently re-printed it and now it is available for US ALL (cookiers and cookie lovers and cookie eaters) to own and cherish!


Here is Glide posing with the best Christmas book ever.
(and with my original Christmas stocking made by my mother 39 years ago -- so 70s!)



Here's Glide reading the best page in the book -- all the mothers singing and happy, rolling out their cookie dough.  Ahhh - I love just thinking about it!


If you want your own copy, Amazon has it for around $12!  Get it while it lasts!!!!

4 comments:

Sue

That book looks adorable! I'm going to check it out. How nice that you still have your original stocking:)

Cristin (Pinkie)

Sounds like a really fun book Kara! I've added it to my Amazon shopping cart. Since I just placed an order earlier tonight, it will have to wait for my next order, but it looks like a great family tradition and hey, it's about COOKIES!!! :-)

Jill

Kara what a wonderful story of you growing up with the Snitcher and still treasuring the tale :) Thanks for supporting our books and spreading the word that is a great book for kids! I started Purple House Press to rescue out of print children's books from oblivion, and twelve years later we have this gem in print along with 40 others. Your story put a smile on my face and helps make me feel that what we're doing is worthwhile.

Kara

Wow! Thank YOU, Jill, for starting Purple House Press! What a wonderful way to keep children's books alive! Thank you for finding my post about the Christmas Cookie Sprinkle Snitcher and leaving your sweet comment. :) Kara